View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Would your rig pass? 
LIOR

Post Would your rig pass?
The Howler would fail a careful inspection under NJ's rules. I have some protection from OEM comparisons since it's titled as a 1948 Willys Overland :twisted: How would your rig do ? What do you NJ guys do?

rear license plate too high
no rear bumper (Could get away with saying rear bumper was an option, could be true. Who could say?)
tires too big (7.5" over OEM 6.00-15 ie 27")
front fender too narrow
no rear mud flaps
fuel tank 'exposed' ?
exposed exhaust system components - tailpipes visible? What does this mean?
Maximum lift height for GVWR 4500 lbs and under is 7" above original vehicle height with tires. Probably safe, no data available :lol:

The following is from the NJDMV:
Quote:
1. Steering gear ratios and steering wheel left stop to right stop turns must be within 1/2 turn of the original manufacturers specifications.
2. Headlights shall be mounted no lower than 22" nor more than 54" above the ground.
3. Taillights shall be mounted no lower than 15" nor more than 72" above the ground.
4. Off road lights must be covered while operating on public roads.
5. License plates must be mounted no less than 12" nor more than 48" above the ground.
6. Brake lines and hoses must be protected from excessive heat and vibration. They must be mounted in a manner to prevent chafing, undue wear, stress, or unintentional disconnection.
7. Vehicles orginally equipped with bumpers must have them securely fastened, no less than 16" from the ground to the bottom of the bumper, and shall extend the full width of the vehicle.
8. Maximum tire diameter allowed will be 38" or 6" over stock, whichever is less.
9. All tires must be the same size. Maximum tire pressure as stated on tire is recommended. Front tires must be at least 60% of the tread width of the rear tires.
10. Front fenders must extend over the full width of the tire tread. Rear tires that are not covered by the fender or other body parts must be equiped with metal protectors or flexible flaps that prevent dirt, debris, and water from being thrown.
11. Exposed fuel tanks must be encased. Side mounted tanks must have a protective bar to prevent rupture.
12. Exposed exhaust system components and moving parts must be shielded.
13. Ballast must be securely mounted.
14. Releasing the steering wheel in a sharp turn shall result in an increase in turning radius.
15. Spacers to increase trach width are prohibited.
16. Maximum lift height for GVWR 4500 lbs and under is 7" above original vehicle height with tires.
17. Maximum lift height for GVWR 4501 - 7500 lbs is 9" above original vehicle height with tires.
18. Maximum lift height for GVWR 7501 - 10000 lbs is 11" above original vehicle height with tires.
19. No blocks are allowed on front suspension.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:35 am
HV4W

Post Re: Would your rig pass?
I might miss ...
#8, have 35's now, orig may have been 28's (205/75R15).
#10, no flaps for me either.
#16 my 35's and SOA together is more than OEM+7.

#12 to me means side pipes and big-rig style risers in pickups, exhaust parts that may be casually touchable.

Ex-HV4W Officer/Member
Ex-NOVA Vice Chairperson and Trailfest Event Coordinator 2008/2009/2010

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:44 am
E4W

If my exo counts as a bumper I would be fine, doubtful though. Thats really the only thing that could technically fail me. Rear bumpers were optional.
Original tire size was 31 and I'm running 36/37.
Granted, my taillights would need new lenses but they are within their measurements.
Again, the exo has become my front fenders but they do actually cover the front tires.

Currently, CT has no safety inspections. Only emissions, once every two years. :banana:

Talk soon,

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:40 pm
LIOR

ToxicTurtle wrote:
Currently, CT has no safety inspections. Only emissions, once every two years.

So your allowed to drive a POS that will swerve and kill me quickly, but not slowly poison me :roll:

Government: it's not right & wrong that count; it's what we want :!:

:brickwall:

Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:58 pm
E4W

howler4x4 wrote:
Government: it's not right & wrong that count; it's what we want :!:

Its what makes us money..... :thumbs:

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]