View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Bill's Supercharged TJ Build 
LIOR

Post Re: Bill's Supercharged TJ Build
Do you still have the 44. I know someone who would probably want to buy it. Evan 516-384-5349 P.S. Nice build

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:16 pm
JT4x4

howler4x4 wrote:
I'm not going to let my rig see this. You know how jealous they get.
Awesome build :bow:

Suffolk JK wrote:
Is it ok to get turned on by stuff like this?!?
Very nice!

Evan s wrote:
Do you still have the 44. I know someone who would probably want to buy it. Evan 516-384-5349 P.S. Nice build

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I wanted to post the build thread here just to share what others are going around the area. I'm hoping to have it complete sometime soon for some snow wheeling, but we'll see. I'm a single father, so build time is limited to nights that I don't have cleaning or laundry to do.

The 44 rear is long gone. I have a set of A to Z sliders for sale, but that is more or less all thats left from the stock stuff. A few other JT4x4 guys got most of it.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 am
JT4x4

Ok, so here is a little update on progress.

Notched the frame to clear the steering:

I know it looks like that is a big notch, but when you turn lock to lock with the passenger side at full bump, you need it to clear 100%.

Also, I fully welded and painted the steering and ram mount. Fixed the tie rod end issue as well.

Next, I built a couple brackets to bolt the power steering fluid cooler to the bottom of the supercharger heat exchanger. It is all painted and installed with the lines run and in place. (Note: Supercharger heat exchanger is on top; power steering cooler is on the bottom)

For now, the radiator is pulled. I also Evac'd the AC system and permanently removed the AC condenser. Why? Reason for this was with the two coolers in front of the AC condenser in front of the radiator. Now, I shouldn't have overheating problems. Before anyone says it, I already know. Taurus electric fan conversion.

Oh, and the fenders are now both off.

Finally, here is the supercharger problem. I needed a MML because of the flat belly skid I installed. However, the supercharger is now hitting the hood.

Not very bad on this one. Its VERY close though and once the hood is lower (can't fully close it yet), I'm thinking it will hit. If it doesn't, it almost certainly will when the engine is torquing while running.

Here however, I am making direct contact:

Is the sport car/muscle car world, I have seen this quite a few times before and what I was thinking of doing (the first Camaro pictured has a hack job done to it).

These two are done clean. Its the same car actually. The first picture shows how they masking taped the hood to protect the finish of the carbon fiber.

I am comfortable with doing a cut like this. The down fall would be taking water in the hood. Water crossings are not something I'm interested in, but rain. Maybe I could build a cowl, but who knows. No matter what I do, I'm defiantly going to have to cut the hood to make it clear. I already have to cut the sides too for the highline, so ya. The bigger issue here is what happens to the supercharger if I roll? I need to keep it protected too. My ideas for this is a big stinger in the front thereby keeping the weight on the cage and stinger. Another was to run a removable bar over the hood in the area of the supercharger.

If anyone has ideas now that I've posted mine, let me here them. I've decided on holding off on putting the radiator back in and cutting the hood until after I've thought about the options more. I have plenty of other stuff to work on till I need to make that cut.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:15 pm
LIOR

If it's like I imagine, the hood cut will have to allow for the air intake hose also. Which will make for a pretty weird looking hole.
How about plain rectangular cutout covered by a rear-facing scoop.

That is http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-475002 but there's a huge selection of styles & sizes.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:08 pm
JT4x4

I considered something like that cowl attachment, but I think I have it figured out without cutting anything. I raised the grill and the hood closes with clearance for the supercharger. I think it is going to work. I'm still worried the new fenders will not line up correctly, but we'll see. Right now it is slightly off at the grill, but I think if I use the bottom bolt in the back to pull it down it just might line up. Then, all I have to worry about is making the new inner stuff line up correctly. I'll get into more detail later when I have more time, but here is a quick teaser shot.

Also, yesturday I went and picked up the tires for this build.

38x12.5x16.5 TSL's. New they have 23/32" of tread. I check these before buying them and all were 20/32" to 21/32". Mounted on some basic steel wheels. I figure I'll run them on those for a while and eventually get some recentered H1 Wheels with PVC insterts. Got all five, mounted and balanced for $750.00.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:33 pm
JT4x4

Hey everyone.  So, its been almost a month since I updated this thread.  I thought I'd take some pictures to share and see what everyone thinks.

The body armor is just about done now.  A few more holes to drill and one more slider to mock up and then I get to pull everything off for paint.

Anyways, here ya go.  Starting off is the front highline stuff. To make the supercharger clear the hood, I added an additional 1" of lift on the body mount to the grill only. This raised the point where the hood closes and makes everything clear. It worked really well and looks good.

Here are some of the body work for the stretch and the rear highline.

Like I said, still some more work to do to call the mock up phase of the body armor complete, but its close.  I am very happy how it came together.

Once I'm done mocking up the body armor, I plan to move into finishing the assembly of the front axle (shafts, spindles, brakes) and doing an alignment on everything suspension and steering wise.  After that, I'm putting the wheels and tires on this thing.  More then just wanting to see it sitting on tires again, I'll actually need to at that point.  I want to mock up the rear tire carrier and tail gate and I can't do either without rolling it forward in my little garage.

The following measurements are estimates based on the center-line location of the axle and total diameter of the tires.  They will change once the weight of the Jeep is on the tires, ect.

Ground to highest point with the top on: 78 1/2"
Ground to Transfer Case Skid: 22 1/2"
Ground to Fender opening: 50"
Ground to Rocker: 30"
Ground to Front Bumper: 28"
Ground to Rear Bumper: 28"

More updates to follow.  Hopefully with pictures of it sitting on tires and wheels again.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:12 am
LIOR

Dont forget to seam seal the fenders before paint. The rust will stain tha paint and bleed through. I have seen it too often after a nice paint job.

1997 TJ
Dana 60's ARB's
Atlas
Beadlocks
37" Krawlers.

2003 Rubicon
Clayton Long Arm
Beadlocks
35' KM2's

2015 JKU Rubicon
Hard Rock
(Wifes Daily Driver)

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:24 pm
JT4x4

LowRedTJ wrote:
Dont forget to seam seal the fenders before paint. The rust will stain tha paint and bleed through. I have seen it too often after a nice paint job.

I have a tube of 3M seam sealer I was going to use to seal everything up behind the corners, sliders, and fenders prior to final install. As everything sits in its current state, its all on there but only for mock up. Everything is getting pulled, painted in POR-15, sanded, and then painted again prior to final install.

The front end is just about together now and I should have the wheels and tires on it very soon. Pictures to follow (hopefully soon).

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:45 pm
JT4x4

So, these pictures really make me happy.

These ones are even better.

Thanks goes out to Nate of JT4x4 for helping me get the front axle together and the tires on.  Its always nice having an extra hand.  I am very happy with the overall ride height and it should drive out of the garage on the 38's.  That alone is impressive to me.  As you can see by the pictures (for those of you who haven't seen this in person), I have a really small garage.

Also, all of these pictures were taken with the Jeep sitting at ride height. I am very happy with its new stance.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:31 pm
LIOR

Your thread has 1,200+ views. Why so little comment? I think you have everyone awestruck. I am. :thumbs:

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next