View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
JK unlimited lift 
JT4x4

Post JK unlimited lift
Would like some input on lifting an 09 JK Unlimited Rubicon. This is my DD of up to 25k a yr. The lift must have exellent on road manners but have plenty of off road flex. Wan't a long arm system because hear by keeping the lower controll arms at less of a steep angle pointed down will give a better ride & also give great articulation. I feel im limited to long arm kits because I have the compleat Polly Performance Heavy Duty skid plate system. I do like the Polly long arm kit but it's very pricy. I will go this route if it's the best option but feel there must be other options. Im not against a weld in system because feel this could open up my options. I do feel its better to get a pre enginered system because it takes most of the guess work out of all the issues that can pop up later & I can't afford the down time. Forgot to add that wan't to start off with 35"s then move to 37"s after the 35"s are warn out so the only thing to worry about later is to adress the weak JK dana 44's & gearing. I feel the 4.10's should be ok for 35"s. To fit 37"s feel that a 4.5" system will be fine but if I start off with 35"s will it have stability issues on road? Any ideas? I need help because im going to make a move hopefully by or before spring & don't wan't to make the wrong choice.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:14 pm
LIOR

Post Re: JK unlimited lift
Hi my name is Evan from LIOR. I have a Jeep Shop on Long Island. I know you are in CT, so I am not trying to soliciate business, just trying to help a fellow wheeler. I do a lot of JK's and a long arm is definetally not nessesary. You have a couple of options. I like a 3.5 inch lift with a 1 and 1/4 body lift. Beleve it or not RoughCounty's body lift is nice and it is priced reasonably. As far as suspension lift goes, my favorite is AEV NTH degree available in 3.5 and 4.5 inch. They use simple drop brackets for the front lower control arms to fix the geometry. These lifts drive and handle like an absolute dream and wheel great. If you are concerned about the drop brackets, don't. The don't seem to get hung up at all because they are close to the wheel. The long arms seem to have more of a tendancy to get caught on things. If you are going to do 37's, just do it. Make sure you do C gussets. Also I would recomend front lower control arm skids and rockstar skids for the rear control. These are made by Off Raod Evolution. Do 5.13 gears if 37's are in your future. RCV shafts and tube sleave and your front end will be pretty stought. If you have any questions feel free to call me 516-384-5349. I would check Northridge 4x4 they have good prices and free shipping. You can talk to Dave. Tell him Evan from Evan's 4x4 sent you. I am going to try to get them to donate to trail fest this year so the more we buy, the more they will give. Good luck Evan

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:27 pm
LIOR

What Evan said.

If you REALLY are set on long arms, check out Rock Krawler, they make great stuff. Huge, beefy link ends, heavy wall arms, etc. Don't forget, there's nothing that CAN'T be modified, even if you have Poly's skids.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:57 pm
LIOR

Even with the Poly skids, you have to modifie them to fit their long arm kit, I have done one of those too. Trust me don't waste your money on long arms even with 4.5 inches of lift and no drop brackets, just that the AEV is the best steet lift that I have driven, even better than long arm lifts. You can do the 3.5 inch lift I you are set on running 35's, then add the 1.25 inch bodylift to clear te 37's later. Remember, with a torch and welder anything can be made to work, which is usually the case with aftermarket parts anyway. Evan

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:14 pm
JT4x4

Evan s wrote:
Even with the Poly skids, you have to modifie them to fit their long arm kit, I have done one of those too. Trust me don't waste your money on long arms even with 4.5 inches of lift and no drop brackets, just that the AEV is the best steet lift that I have driven, even better than long arm lifts. You can do the 3.5 inch lift I you are set on running 35's, then add the 1.25 inch bodylift to clear te 37's later. Remember, with a torch and welder anything can be made to work, which is usually the case with aftermarket parts anyway. Evan

Thank you for all the info Evan.

Will be starting off with 35's because regearing & fixing the weak JK 44's are not in my budget at this time. Im starting to shy away from the long arm systems due to too complicated & expensive. I do agree that the AEV system has the best handleing 3.5 to 4.5 Kit out there but Im concerned about pinion angle & not having adjustable controll arms. Also hear that high steer kits are a must. Having the correct alignment is the key to a DD. I have a very nice Hunter alignment rack at the Honda dealer I work at so setting this up won't be an issue.

Would like to hear your input on the Clayton short arm system. Im very interested in this kit because of the Johnny Joints, stock rubber bushings, extreamly stout controll arms & being local. Do you feel any gain with these controll arms or am I better off with the stock controll arms & AEV system?

Another thing to add is the stock JK drive shafts. I have a 09 JK Rubicon Unlimited 6sp. Have herd that drive line mods are only nesisary on the automatics & 2Dr's. Is this true & if so would it mean replacing both drive shafts or only the front. I am most likely going with the 3.5in system so does this make a difference in my drive shaft choices? Again thank you for all your input Evan.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:20 pm
LIOR

Claton makes nice stuff for sure. The AEV lift with 6 spd will work great with stock drive shafts. With auto's, the stock front shaft might hit the trans pan a touch. I think that nothing beats the stock shafts for vibration control and spares can be had relatively cheap. You could always add control arms to the AEV lift if you wanted. Stock bushings give the best ride, noise insulation and do a good job off road. If you run stock shafts, the AEV system gives perfect drive line angles, just install, drive and enjoy. If you want the best on road suspension that won't leave you wanting off road, AEV is the way to go. Leave stock shafts. Add Off Road Evolution's C gussets, front lower control arm skids and for the rear they have a product called rock stars that gives you extra clearence under the rear shock mount(1.5 inches) and they are lower control arm skids for the rear. It does move the shock mounting up a little so make sure the shocks that come with the AEV lift are not too long. Make sure you get a Evap relocation kit(rock hard makes a nice one).AEV comes with a flip kit for the drag link. I cant type anymore. Like I said feel free to call me if you have any questions Evan 516-384-5349

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:28 pm
JT4x4

Thank you for all the info Even. It has been very helpfull.

I have been wheelin this rig with no lift & stock tires for almost 2yrs. By adding the Polly skids, Kilby Evap relocation kit & Sway bar motor flip has been very helpfull but the ground clearance issue is becoming annoying so a lift & 35"s are a must. The stock BFG MT's have done great but with almost 55k on them it's time to move up to 35"s. Again thank you for the info & I will call you if I have any more questions. Bob

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]