View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
New Property Debut by LIOR/NOVA Oct Wheeling 
LIOR

Post New Property Debut by LIOR/NOVA Oct Wheeling
**Spiller Approved**

Greetings NOVA club members.

Earlier this year, Long Island Off Road Club had developed a relationship with the owner of a large tract of private land located in Hancock, NY in Delaware County. We recently had an open to the public event on it and it was a success. We are calling it "Tar Hollow".

We'd now like to introduce our fellow NOVA clubs to the Tar Hollow. So, on the first weekend in October, Oct 3rd and 4th, LIOR would like to invite NOVA members to join us for some wheeling and camping.

Some property details:
The property is a hunting and logging property with 2500 acres. The two ridge lines running the property are at approx. 2200ft. high with a valley or "hollow" between them. There are approx. 30 miles worth of trails established by logging and hunting activities. The elevation makes for some fun trails. The trails are rated mostly green and blue with rocky trails, switchbacks, climbs, and descents. There are numerous quarries located on the property that provide some cool play areas and some black level obstacles. There are also previously untapped obstacles and areas perfect for future development for more difficult and fun things to drive over(landowner is open to future obstacle development).
The property is currently host to ATV events twice a year, one dual sport/dirt bike event, and was previously host to 2 jeep events that are no more.
In the camping field, the landowner maintains a cookshack that serves camping fare, burgers/dogs/chili/beverages/egg sandwiches/coffee/Danish all weekend long during events for a nominal fee. The cookshack will be up and running for this weekend. There are 2 large pavilions with picnic tables avail for use. There are porta potties on site. The camping is dry camping. The field is large enough for campers, trailers, tents, motorhomes, 5th wheels and generators are ok.

So, for this event, we'd like to collect $20 per jeep for wheeling one day and $40 if you'd like to camp and wheel the second day. Insurance will be under NOVA club run.

I'll follow up as we get closer with details on how to get to the property.
Please post up here with any interest, questions, comments or anything else we can help with regarding this weekend. We'd like to get a headcount going too so if you know you'll be attending, let us know.

Thanks,
Steve on behalf of the LIOR Officers and Members
LIOR

2002 TJ

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:31 am
ECO

Post Re: New Property Debut by LIOR/NOVA Oct Wheeling
We have some interest with the members of ECOJOCS. Is there an email address I can send my guys so they can get more information?

http://www.ecojocs.org

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:58 pm
LIOR

Steve Paul conman2850@yahoo.com

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:41 am
LIOR

You can use the email Howler provided or this one:

smckc.paul@yahoo.com

I monitor both. I'll also check this thread often, so you can post questions here too if anyone likes.

Steve

2002 TJ

Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:21 am
LIOR

Tar Hollow run update:

We're getting some nice interest for this run. LIOR, NYCJC and ECOJOCS....I hope we can interest a few more NOVA clubs...Oct is a great time to be in the woods camping and wheeling.

Directions: please use 325 Tar Hollow Rd, Hancock NY for GPS purposes. That will bring you to business called Tompkins Blue Stone. Follow past the stone yard, the road will turn left and turn to dirt. Follow this road approx 1 mile. You will come to a gate, it will be open, a sign on it says private property, members only. You will see a grey, single wide mobile home on your right. Go through the gate and you are now on Tar Hollow property. In about 150yds you'll come to a fork in the road and a 5mph sign, go left at the sign/fork. Travel about another mile through the woods, do not turn off of this main road/trail until you come to the camping field/cookshack....the road in after the gate is a road/trail, and narrow in some places but we get travel trailers, log trucks and motor homes up there all the time.

Again, tents, trailers, motor homes all fit and there is plenty of room in the field for camp set up and trailer parking and of course generators are ok.

Hope to see you there...

2002 TJ

Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:37 am
LIOR

Last call...

If your thinking of attending either post here or email me so we can get a headcount going and share other details.

Thanks,
Steve

2002 TJ

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:29 am
JT4x4

Thanks for the invite, unfortunately we have a club member getting married this weekend and most of JT4x4 will be there.

Have a great time!

Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:22 pm
LIOR

Hey Mr. Rock..No worries. It's a busy time of the year for wheeling and this was added onto the calendar with very little lead time...These will be a next time, promise.

LIOR/NOVA Tar Hollow Run Oct 3 & 4

Greetings and salutations to all….

We just returned from another great trip to the Hollow once again. We joined forces with NOVA to hold a property introduction ride to our fellow NOVA members. Interest from NOVA clubs was low. We had some good competition between Maine Jeep Jamboree, and the NH Overland Expo. And on top of that there was some guy named Joaquin starting trouble in the Atlantic.

But that didn’t stop us from having a tremendous time. We had a nice showing from NYCJC and the landowner/hunting club had a few guests up wheeling, doing their own thing.

So, first off, a big “F U” to Hurricane Joaquin. When I left LI on Friday mid-morning, it wasn’t so nice. In fact if I wasn’t checking the weather every hour with Art up on the hill, I probably wouldn’t have gone. He assured me it was going to OK.  Sure enough, once north of the Harriman toll plaza, it stopped raining. Billy Goat was a few minutes behind me. When we pulled in to the field, surprise surprise, Jim S. was there waiting for us. Jim went to check into his motel and Billy and I had to hit a few spots on the trail to add some markers. Anthony showed up a little while later and we went into town for some dinner. It was a nice chilly night on the hill. The leaves are changing and starting to fall. Best time of year to be out in the woods.

Saturday morning came and Billy, Anthony and I went to eat at the house. The weather was a little sketchy but not horrible. We worked the gate for a bit getting everyone ready and once our LIOR crew arrived, off we went onto the trails. We had, Anthony, Billy Goat, Jim, Nunzio, George & Chrissy, Christian & Arlene, Kurt and I leading with Jake as shotgun/guide. We warmed up on some greens then into the blues and everyone did very well.

At some point there was a cry over the radio for some “more challenge”. Apparently Billy goat had worked out his locker issues and he really wanted to try them. So we tried to accommodate him. I went off trail to an obstacle and after what I must say was a valiant effort by Jake to get me over the 2 hardest lines; it just wasn’t going to happen. I’m going to blame it on the lack of traction. Wet rocks suck. Next up was Kurt. JK, open diffs. I’m saying to myself, no way he’s making it. First line, denied. Ha, good. Then the trash talking starts, “JK means just kidding”, “It’s all about the wheel base”, “Go home mini-van” etc. etc. I was throwing everything I had at him. He tries the second line, nothing. More vindication. I’m not feeling so bad right now. Then all of a sudden he picks a new line and after some back and forth, some bumping, he makes it up…Well son of a b…..Now he starts trash talking me. Well it’s on now. Billy goat tried a few times and I believe he made it. I was too busy with Kurt. Then Jim walked up after a few tries. I believe Anthony tried too but got denied. As a matter of fact, that’s going to be Anthony’s new LIOR nick name, “Anthony Tried”. More on that later.

More challenge on the way. Blue trail, its muddy, it’s steep, there’s a turn at the top AND there’s a big stump right in the middle of the turn on top. Fun, fun, fun. I made it up slipping and sliding and somehow bounced over the stump. A few others tried and with great fanfare, tire spin, stump bumping, they made it up. We even had to winch one or two up. Now the whole time, Nunzio was quietly standing on the side, watching. Quiet, subdued, zero facial expressions.  Hair, perfect.  He took some video of a few of the guys trying and then it was his turn. Right up. I don’t even think his tires spun once. Like it was nothing.  It was like that the whole weekend. His hair was perfect too. Rain, a little wind, sleeping…nothing affected his hair. Jake even suggested we might have a new LIOR hair model in the making.  Maybe it’s time we pass the “Hair” crown/title to someone else.

More challenge on the way with our first attempt at a “black” level obstacle. It’s called “yogurt” by those of us in the hunting club. When you start out at the top, the trail is smooth, easy, rolling trail. Most are tooling along thinking to themselves “This is a black trail?” Then they get to the bottom, the good stuff. Just like a container of yogurt. All the fruit and good stuff is at the bottom. That’s where the rocks and climbs are. We watched a group in front of us. We even helped back one of their guys out because he decided against it at the last minute. It’s a hairy ledge, off at an angle. It’s also very muddy on the approach and the ledge is wet. Now add in the drop on the left side. There’s a rock on the right that if you’re locked your tire will climb and you’ll get up. If not locked, and you don’t apply throttle at the right time, it will force you to bump left further on this angled ledge and you’ll hit the drop and roll. I made it up with white knuckles and teeth clenched. I even made it down the other side (Greg Fishman had his infamous roll here last year) with little fanfare. Next up was “Anthony Tried”. And try he did. In fact he tried to kill himself. LOL. Came up, on the throttle, hit that right hand wall, bounce left, slid of the ledge and just about went over but it suddenly stopped. He’s teetering on the ledge. Like, if he turns’s his head and looks left, that movement and weight transfer of his head will be just enough to send him rolling down. Deep beath, everyone chill. Jake started calling for straps, snatch blocks, winches….A plan was formulated and with great coordination with Jake calling the shots, “Anthony Tried” got out of the predicament unscathed. He said he was never scared. I don’t believe him. Neither does anyone else that was there to witness it. Big shout out to Nunzio for having a pretty complete set of d-rings, straps and one hell of a snatch block.

After seeing “Anthony Tried’s” attempt a few guys decided to bypass. But not Nunzio. After we cleared the LJ, Nunzio goes right up. No fanfare, no excitement. Like it was nothing. There were stares of disbelief. He never got excited, he never doubted. And his hair was perfect the whole time.  Next up was Jim. No one knows how it happened. If anyone has video, we’d like to see it. Jim rolled up, and everything was going fine until he bounced a little left and that’s all it took. He slid on the ledge and rolled to his left winding up on his right side. We scrambled to get him out. Top off, engine off, Nunzio jumped right in the cab with him to help him unbuckle (Yes his hair was perfect during the whole recovery, why did you even doubt it?) Jim was OK except for a little bump on his head. We rolled the jeep back over. The jeep was fine except for a beat up windshield frame and broken windshield.  Jake cleared the cylinder head of oil, started it up and we decided to call it a day. We hit the field after a great day in the woods. Some stayed at the cook shack for dinner and few of us went into town to grab some chow there.

Sunday morning Jake and I had to assist some NYCJC members that broke down (snapped sector shaft, JK) in the woods Saturday evening and got left in the woods. We formulated a plan. We had them drive down the road to get a signal to try to locate a steering box. And we located their jeep in the woods. We negotiated with Art for the use of his Skidder in case we had to drag the jeep out. They were able to get a steering box from another member that was home on LI. Their President was going to get it and drive it up to Tar Hollow.  So, after breakfast we took our LIOR crew, now joined by new member Danni who drove up Sunday morning, back out on the west side and hit all the cool climbs and fun obstacles. Everyone was doing great. I think I can say with confidence that fun was had by all. We hit the last obstacle of the day, its rated black and called “Triple Winch hill”. There are a few black lines and a blue line. Jim and I did the black. Everyone else did the blue. Kurt, even tried the black, but his wheelbase denied him...Ha, payback is a bitch. LOL He then threw the gauntlet and boasted he was going to do the blue climb, in reverse. I quickly challenged with a monetary bet that “Anthony Tried” backed up. Well, he was denied as expected. And to boot, somehow later when we were buying lunch at the shack, he denied any acknowledgment of the wager that he owed. He finally gave in and stood by the bet and we know he’s good for it. Good sportsmanship all around. So, the last climb of the day and the last person to try it, “Anthony Tried”. Lines up on the black line. Try number one, fail…try number two, fail….fast forward to try number 8…with great fanfare, wheel spin, a few wheelies and tree bumping, HE TRIED AND HE MAKES IT!!!!  Amen!!!

So from this point on, he’s no longer “Anthony Tried”. He is now “Anthony DID”.

Upon return to the field, we ate lunch. Jake, Jim S., and myself grabbed some tools and headed up to the broken down NYCJC vehicle. We pulled the steering box just as the NYCJC Pres. Showed up with the replacement box. A tag team effort between LIOR and NYCJC ensued and they were able to drive off of the trail and home with no problems.

It was another successful LIOR wheeling trip. I enjoyed every minute of it. You guys are great. See you in the trails.

2002 TJ

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:21 pm
HV4W

Thanks for hosting a NOVA Run and sharing a great post run write up!
Hope I can make the next one.

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]