View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Disrespectful Move be New Jeep Group 
LIOR

Post Disrespectful Move be New Jeep Group
I am VP of LIOR Club. We are a family orientated off road club, established in 1993.

Our club has a relationship established with a private landowner in Hancock NY. This relationship affords us access to his property for off road recreation. We occasionally invite fellow NOVA clubs to recreate with us. We are also members in the NEA4WD which is another organization like NOVA, established to obtain access to other club's properties for wheeling.

Last year, a couple approached us, Glenn and Jen, about getting access to this property. They are members of a fellow NEA club, Adirondak Jeeps. Ultimately they joined our club, and joined us at a run at the property.

They garnered info about the property in a discussion with club members over lunch while on the run. We felt at ease with them. Seemed like nice people, owned a business in the next town over, were members of a fellow NEA club, etc...a perfect fit for our club. Or so it seemed.

2 days after the run, Glenn took it upon himself to locate the owners house on the property and took a drive over to make contact. He attempted to talk the landowner into granting him and other jeepers their own access to the property. The landowner had guests over at the time and just said he didn't have time to talk and took his number.

The landowner called me and asked if I knew who this guy was. I took the number and called. I found out it was Glenn.

I contacted Glenn. I explained to him how access worked and that we thought it was uncool for him to use new his membership within our club to gain access for himself and his friends to the property. I also explained it was against long standing gentlemen's agreements and protocols established by the NEA on property access. He refused to understand the weight of his actions. We ultimately had to contact the leadership of his main club in order to get closure. His main club leadership agreed with us that it was against protocols and it was disrespectful. It was chalked up as being some over zealousness on a rookie member's part in order to make himself look good to his club by getting access to a prime wheeling property.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Our landowner mentioned to us that he was granting access to a second jeep club. We were of course not happy, but after all it was his property and he could with it as he pleased. when you own a large parcel of land, taxes are always going up and we understand his need for extra money. We just wanted to make sure it wasn't a club within our organizations because there are established protocols in place for obtaining access for those clubs, and we expected them to be followed.

Well, come to find out it was Glenn and his wife Jen. They started a FB jeep page called Catskills Jeeps. We can only surmise this was to hide the fact that they were going to violate long standing protocols if they did it under the Adirondak Jeeps name. Once they formed this page, they re-approached the landowner and talked him into granting them access. And now they are having a jeep run on the property in the near future.

Like we said, its not our land. But for many years we were the sole club with access. We're ok with a second club having access, its a big place. What we are mad at is that we invited Glenn and his wife into our family, told them things about the property and they used that info to go behind our backs and sneak their way into a position to get their own access. That is dirty and disrespectful. And the NE jeep community should know about them and their actions.

I've tried to contact Glenn via FB, he blocked me. I tried to join his FB page, Catskills Jeepers, but he blocked me. I've tried to contact Adirondak Jeeps, and they are not returning my numerous requests for a phone call. So going public is the only remedy we have at this time.

Thanks for listening.
Stevemack

2002 TJ

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Post Re: Disrespectful Move be New Jeep Group
that's wrong on many levels.. thanks for sharing. this is why I have so little respect for FB groups that do not associate with anyone sanctioning body. Its one thing to do a FB group and use places that are public, its entirely different to go rouge and abuse privileges to benefit yourself that were granted on a club run... :brickwall:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]