View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Spares 
LIOR

Post Spares
What spares do you all carry :?:

This guy:
Subject: Mindless Maneuvers ZJ

Blindflag wrote:
97 Grand Cherokee
<snip>
Onboard Spares
Axle Shafts All around- Harrys
Tie Rod and Drag Link - Harrys
Full Size Spare and wheel - Harrys
U-Joints
Other random crap I cant remember

probably saved a couple of hours from LIOR's 14 hour run through RSG by lending out his spares. I don't remember exactly which parts went where, but a family of fairly new wheelers were very impressed, and very relieved, when a spare tie rod appeared in the middle of the woods. For free! (Well it does need to be returned!)

Later on (much later :!: ) he lent out his spare tire. Attaboy! :thumbs:

So... What spares do you carry :?:

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:54 am
JT4x4

Post Re: Spares
I always carry a lot more stuff than I think I need, but it has helped others several times. I have spare axleshafts for the front, full size spare and ujoints for driveshafts if needed. I carry hose clamps, lots of tools and antifreeze, oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, gas tank repair kit and other things. I don't leak or drip a drop of anything, but I've had the parts to repair radiator hoses and crunched gas tanks for others on more than one occasion. I've been looking for some spare shafts for my TJ D44 just in case the need ever arises.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:19 am
LIOR

Strictly get back to the trailer stuff. I don't carry spare axle shafts because I know if I break a front I'd just rather unlock the hub and drive out in 3WD than take a long time to swap it in. I do have spare fronts but I only bring them to multi day runs - I just don't want to stop for an hour or two to swap it out. If I break a rear (unlikely, DS probably will break first) it will stay in place enough to get out (its not a D-35 type C clamp deal).
I do carry spare driveshafts, brake lines, hoses, ball joints (and the press for that), tie rod and drag link ends, a serp belt, some fasterners, and a hiem for the track bar. I carry lots of recovery stuff, and lots and lots of tools, to include a welder and spare angle iron. The welder and angle iron are a lot of spare stuff (drag link, tie rod, suspension parts, spare tire carrier which I ripped off and welded it back on etc.).
I should carry more oil, I do carry brake and PS fluid, and I don't carry antifreeze, if I leak that I'll use water till I get to the trailer.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:28 pm
E4W

I used to carry all sorts of spares with a little of this and that in order to repair things I though I might break along the way, extra front axle shafts, and extra drive shaft. mostly worn out or broken parts I had repaired to be good enough to get me off the trail. Over the years I've used the parts or left them at home for more room for the family and got to the point where I don't carry much any more, a few u-joints and a handful of hardware. I lent my high lift jack handle out a few years ago at Stone gardens to guy as a trail repair for his tie rod but never got it back from the guy(if you're reading this and just couldn't remember where you got it). The Jeep is getting a little worn now so thanks for the reminder, I should start building my extra parts supply up again. Room is an issue as I bring my girls now and then so I have the back seat in and leave room for all of their gear when they come. I'm not in a rush for them to grow up but some day I'll take the back seat out and have a tool box where I can put 500 pounds of stuff just in case.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]